1 around the middle of a scale of evaluation of physical measures; "an orange of average size"; "intermediate capacity"; "a plane with intermediate range"; "medium bombers" [syn: average, intermediate]
2 (of meat) cooked until there is just a little pink meat inside
1 a means or instrumentality for storing or communicating information
2 the surrounding environment; "fish require an aqueous medium"
3 an intervening substance through which signals can travel as a means for communication
4 (bacteriology) a nutrient substance (solid or liquid) that is used to cultivate micro-organisms [syn: culture medium]
5 an intervening substance through which something is achieved; "the dissolving medium is called a solvent"
6 a liquid with which pigment is mixed by a painter
7 (biology) a substance in which specimens are preserved or displayed
8 a state that is intermediate between extremes; a middle position; "a happy medium"
9 someone who serves as an intermediary between the living and the dead; "he consulted several mediums" [syn: spiritualist]
10 transmissions that are disseminated widely to the public [syn: mass medium]
11 an occupation for which you are especially well suited; "in law he found his true metier" [syn: metier] [also: media (pl)]
- , /ˈmiːdiəm/, /"mi:di@m/
- Rhymes with: -iːdiəm
- In the context of "plural media": The nature of the surrounding environment, e.g. solid, liquid, gas, vacuum, or a specific substance such as a solvent.
- In the context of "plural media": The material or empty space through which signals, waves or forces pass.
- In the context of "plural media": A format for communicating or presenting information.
- In the context of "plural media|microbiology": A nutrient solution for the growth of cells in vitro.
- In the context of "plural media": The means or channel by which an aim is achieved.
- In the context of "plural mediums": A liquid base which carries pigment in paint.
- In the context of "plural mediums|spiritualism": Someone who supposedly conveys information from the spirit world.
- In the context of "plural mediums": Anything having a measurement intermediate between extremes, such as a garment or container.
- In the context of "plural mediums": A person whom garments or apparel of intermediate size fit.
- 1996: In some instances one can take advantage of differential carbohydrate fermentation capabilities of microorganisms by incorporating one or more carbohydrates in the medium along with a suitable pH indicator. Such media are called differential media (e.g., eosin methylene blue or MacConkey agar) and are commonly used to isolate enteric bacilli. — Medical Microbiology, ed. Samuel Baron, MD.
the nature of the surrounding environment
- Finnish: media, tiedotusväline
- German: Medium
- Hindi: माद्धयम
- Telugu: మాధ్యమం
the material or empty space through which signals, waves or forces pass
- Finnish: keskikoko
- German: Medium
a format for communicating or presenting information
- Finnish: keskikoko
- German: Medium
- Telugu: మధ్యస్తం
a nutrient solution for the growth of cells in vitro
- Finnish: meedio
the means or channel by which an aim is achieved
a liquid base which carries pigment in paint
someone who supposedly conveys information from the spirit world
- German: Medium
anything having a measurement intermediate between extremes
a person whom garments or apparel of intermediate size fit
- Of intermediate size.
of intermediate size
- Finnish: keskikokoinen
- German: mittelgroß
- Polish: średni
- Portuguese: médium
Medium may refer to:
(communication), any tool used to store and deliver information
storage device, any physical material that records or holds
- Art medium, materials and techniques used by artists to produce art works
- Transmission medium, in physics and telecommunications, any material substance which can propagate waves or energy
- Data storage device, any physical material that records or holds recorded information
- Medium of exchange, any monetary instrument used to pay for goods and/or services
- Medium of instruction, any language or other tools used to educate, train, or instruct
Natural ScienceIn general, a medium is a material that is either itself undergoing a process that is being studied or used (e.g. transmission medium), or enabling another process of interest (e.g. growth medium). Specific examples include the following:
- Processing medium, in industrial engineering, a material that plays a role in manufacturing processes
- Excitable medium, a nonlinear dynamic system which has the capacity to propagate a wave
- gain medium, an quantum system that allows amplification of power (gain) of waves passing through (usually by stimulated emission)
- Growth medium (or culture medium), in biotechnology, an object in which microorganisms or cells experience growth
- Interplanetary medium, in astronomy, material which fills the solar system
- Interstellar medium, in astronomy, the matter and energy content that exists between the stars within a galaxy
Paranormal and New Age
- The Medium, an entertainment weekly at Rutgers University
medium in Afrikaans: Medium
medium in German: Medium
medium in French: Médium
medium in Dutch: Medium
medium in Japanese: ミディアム
medium in Norwegian: Medium
medium in Polish: Medium
medium in Simple English: Medium
medium in Swedish: Medium
medium in Chinese: 載體
Charlie McCarthy, actor, agency, agent, air brush, ambiance, ambience, ambient, amidships, ancilla, appliance, approach, arbitrator, arc, arc light, architect, art paper, atmosphere, atoms, autecology, author, automatist, avenue, average, balance, banal, betwixt and between, bien cuit, bioecology, bionomics, broker, brush, camera lucida, camera obscura, canvas, center, central, chalk, channel, charcoal, chromogen, climate, coat, coat of paint, coating, color, color filter, color gelatin, colorant, coloring, common, compromise, connection, contact, contrivance, conveyance, core, course, crayon, creator, creature, crown, dead-color, deputy, device, dimmer, distemper, distillate, distillation, distributor, doer, done, doneness, drawing paper, drawing pencil, drier, dull, dummy, duodecimo, dupe, dye, dyestuff, easel, ecoclimate, ecodeme, ecology, ecosystem, ecstatic, eighteenmo, element, elixir, environment, equatorial, equidistant, essence, everyday, executant, executor, executrix, expedient, exterior paint, fabric, fabricator, fair, fair to middling, fairish, fence, fixative, flat coat, flat wash, floats, flood, floodlight, floor enamel, folio, footlights, foots, front, front man, gelatin, generality, gist, go-between, golden mean, ground, half measures, half-and-half measures, halfway, halfway measures, handmaid, handmaiden, happy medium, heart, imperial, implement, indifferent, insipid, instrument, instrumentality, instrumentation, interagent, interceder, intercessor, intercurrent, interior, interior paint, interjacent, intermediary, intermediate, intermediate agent, intermediation, intermediator, intermedium, internuncio, interpleader, intervener, intervenient, intervening, interventionist, interventor, jobber, juste-milieu, kernel, klieg light, lackluster, lay figure, lever, liaison, light plot, lights, limelight, link, long suit, maker, marquee, marrow, material, matter, maulstick, mean, means, meat, mechanism, medial, median, mediary, mediator, mediocre, mediocrity, mediterranean, medium-rare, mesial, mesne, method, metier, mezzo, mid, middle, middle course, middle ground, middle point, middle position, middle state, middle way, middle-of-the-road, middleman, middling, midland, midpoint, midships, midway, midwife, milieu, minion, ministry, mise-en-scene, mode, moderate, moderateness, moderation, modest, mouthpiece, mover, namby-pamby, necromancer, negotiant, negotiator, negotiatress, negotiatrix, neutral, neutral ground, norm, normal, nub, nuclear, octavo, octodecimo, of a kind, of a sort, of sorts, ombudsman, opaque color, operant, operative, operator, ordinary, organ, overcooked, overdone, oyster, paint, paintbrush, palette, palette knife, par, passable, pastel, pawn, pencil, performer, perpetrator, pigment, pigments, pith, plaything, popular, practitioner, prime coat, prime mover, primer, priming, producer, psychic, psychographist, puppet, quarto, quintessence, respectable, road, route, routine, royal, rule, run, run-of-mine, run-of-the-mill, sap, scratchboard, servant, sextodecimo, siccative, sixteenmo, sketchbook, sketchpad, slave, so-so, soul, spatula, spirit, spirit rapper, spiritist, spiritualist, spokesman, spokeswoman, spot, spotlight, spray gun, stain, standard, stooge, stuff, stump, subject, substance, sum and substance, super, surroundings, synecology, tangible, technique, tedious, tempera, thinner, tie, tinction, tincture, tolerable, tool, toy, transparent color, turpentine, turps, twelvemo, undercoat, undercoating, usual, vapid, varnish, vehicle, via media, vulgar, wash, wash coat, way, well-cooked, well-done, wholesaler, wishy-washy, worker